Sunday, October 20, 2013

Natural Yeast Starter made from Raisins

I have been gluten intolerant for the past 10 years and have recently discovered the miraculous benefits of Natural Yeast. What this means, briefly, is that I have been eating whole wheat for the past 3 weeks and haven't experienced any reactions! I have so much to share about the science behind this and all the things I've discovered about yeast and wheat BUT I am an impatient person. I was so excited myself to figure this out that I couldn't imagine anyone wanting to hear the whole backstory about my discovery and then having to wait for the actual information. So I thought I would give the information First and then share my paths to discovery (for those that are curious) in a later post. But just fyi, this has changed my life.

First things first, making the Yeast. 

I started out with a sample of dried Natural yeast starter from Caleb Warnock that has been temperamental and difficult. So instead I am sharing how to make yeast from Raisin water because it is so much easier and will allow you to at least get started and familiar with how the yeast feels, looks, etc.

Take a handful of raisins and throw them in a wide mouth glass jar. Add 6 or so crushed grapes that have not been rinsed and look a little chalky (that chalky stuff is called yeast). (Some people add some sugar but I didn't find that necessary with my first jar. If it makes you feel comfortable, add a teaspoon or so of sugar, it's said that it will help the yeast grow faster). Fill your jar 80 percent with Bottled Water or distilled water. (Chlorine, found in tap water, kills yeast). Put the lid on tight and let it sit on your counter for at least 3 days up to 7 days. 


Once a day remove the lid to let air into your jar. Put the lid on tightly again. You can also shake the jar a few times a day. After a few days you may notice a bulge to your lid or hear a "whoosh" sound when you take the lid off. This means the yeast is ready. Some say you should wait until all the raisins are floating at the top. I'm either too impatient or that just didn't happen for me (probably because I was too impatient) but I got my yeast to work this way. 

Strain 1 cup of raisin water into a clean clear wide mouth container. (I like wide mouth mason jars). Stir in 1 Cup unbleached, unbromated flour. You are going for a consistency sort of like pancake mix, lumpy, not too watery, but not doughy either. You may need a little more than 1 cup flour or a little less. Stir it well then cover it. I like to mark my jar with a rubber band to show where the starter mix is at.


Now here is where you need to pay close attention.

Stir the mix a few times that first day. At the end of the day "feed" it 1/2 Cup bottled water and 1/2 Cup flour. Mix it well and cover it.

Hopefully the next day you will start to see some large bubbles forming. If you do then pour out enough of it so you are left only with about 1/2 Cup. You can use what you poured out to make crepes or something or you can just pour it down the sink. Now, feed it again 1/2 Cup water and 1/2 Cup flour still trying to achieve that same "batter like" consistency. Move your rubber band and cover it. You may want to stir it again before you go to bed.

Here is what mine looked like on that second morning.



Now you can make bread!

A few additional tips:

I use this whole amount in my recipe. I dump in all of the contents of the jar without scraping the sides. I set the jar on the counter and let what's on the sides settle to the bottom. It measure about 1/4 Cup.

Add 1/4 cup bottled water and 1/4 cup flour. Are you noticing a pattern here? I always feed my starter with a 1:1:1 ratio. That is why I dump out some of my starter. Because I don't want to be adding 2 Cups water and 2 Cups flour to 2 Cups starter.

When you notice this starter doubling and bubbling feed it and then put it in the fridge (unless you plan on making bread again the next day, then just leave it on your counter). Putting it in the fridge just slows down the process. The starter stays good in the fridge allowing you to feed it every 3 to 4 days until you are ready to use it again.

My next post will be on how to make the bread. It's a little different than traditional whole wheat bread recipes.

Originally posted in March 2013

Update

I originally posted this back in March of 2013. At that time I was still struggling to get my sourdough starter off the ground. Making yeast from raisin water was exciting and very encouraging. However, in the past two years I have not been able to replicate the process with the same success. Once I got my sourdough starter going it has far outperformed all of my attempts at working with fruit yeast. If you are looking to get started making your own bread and have not had success with the fruit water don't get discouraged. Get a sourdough starter from someone like me or Caleb Warnock. Once that gets going with a little love and care it can last for generations. I actually met a man who had a starter that originated from his great great (I don't know how many greats) grandmother who brought it with her in a wagon across the plains!

No comments:

Post a Comment