Thursday, November 7, 2013

Natural Yeast Sourdough Baguettes

I've been experimenting with different ways to make a super soft baguette that has a crispy crust and big holes inside using natural yeast. I thought the trick was in using instant yeast because it rose quickly but I have since learned that the trick is actually in how you knead the dough. As nice as it is to use a mixer, the trick here is to knead it by hand! Here is a simple recipe and a great tutorial on kneading by Chef Tess.


The Recipe:

6 C unbleached unbromated flour, or artisan flour
1 T salt
1 T sugar, optional (Chef Tess uses the sugar to help the instant yeast. I used it just as an experiment. All I can say is the bread turned out great. But it might be just as good without the sugar.)
2 - 2 1/4 C water

Combine the water and your natural yeast (2-3 C depending on how much is in your jar. I always just use the whole jar, leaving only about 1/4 C to feed and grow). I used a danish dough whisk to mix my ingredients.


Next add the sugar and salt and then 6 Cups sifted flour.


Mix as well as you can with the whisk. Then dump it all onto a lightly floured surface and knead it by hand for just a few minutes, only until the ingredients are well combined. Leave it on the counter to autolyze for 10 min. This is where the video comes in handy. Watch Chef Tess here. You will notice that Chef Tess mixes her ingredients in a different order than I recommend. That is because we are using natural yeast. I appreciate her recipe but I was mostly interested in her demonstration of the autolyze method and how she kneads her dough.

After the dough has sat for 10 minutes knead it by hand for another 8 minutes. Then put it in a lightly greased bowl, cover it, and let it sit for at least 6 hours. The goal is for it to more than double in size.


I apologize but I didn't get a picture of the dough after it had risen because I was in a hurry. I rolled out my dough following Chef Tess's method, dividing it into thirds and forming baguette loaves then placed each loaf on a baguette pan that I purchased here. I covered my dough with lightly greased wax paper and let it sit for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

Just before baking score the top of your loaves with a lame. I purchased mine from weekendbakery.com. They also have great tutorials on how to score your bread. (And they sell the extra large plastic bowl that you see pictured above).

Bake the loaves in an oven that has been preheated to 450 degrees. Don't decrease the temperature after putting the loaves in. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a thermometer inserted into a loaf reads 180 degrees.



The result was a beautiful baguette that was crispy on the outside but divinely soft and light on the inside. I wasn't too thrilled with the baguette pan though because the loaves rose into each other. I think next time I will try a cookie sheet like Chef Tess uses. I will keep experimenting but in the meantime please feel free to share any hints or tips you might have for making a great baguette!

No comments:

Post a Comment